Wednesday, November 27, 2019

At Least...Lessons From Buddha, Martha, Snoopy, and Barry


"Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful." – Buddha


Typically, the words "at least" annoy me because who wants to settle for the least? It's not selfish to want more of something, right? Who wouldn't want more friends and family around them, more time to enjoy life, more health, and hey, a little more money couldn't hurt either. It's Thanksgiving, so we're all thankful for these blessings, but perhaps we should give notice to the little things that, on the surface, might not seem like much, but honestly do make an impact.

So here are some less than huge parts of this past year that have me giving thanks — the "small plates" version of a big turkey dinner.

My Snoopy blanket. Sure, it's a regular fleece blanket that's soft and warm and does what it's supposed to, big whoop. No, it's not a mink coat, but then again, no tiny cute animals had to die to make it, so there's that. Also, Snoopy. How can you not smile, at least a little, when you are kept warm by a smiling little dog dressed like a World War I pilot, flying around on a dog house? Snoopy makes my gratitude list this year, especially since he's coming back to the Macy's parade on Thanksgiving Day.



Martha Chicken and Sparkle Buddha: No, really, I haven't started in on the eggnog, these are real items. Martha Chicken is a ridiculous little metal hen that sits on my desk. I found her in a thrift store, sitting on a shelf and, well, she came home with me. I've forgotten how she got her name, but there she is, quietly watching over me. She is Sparkle Buddha's companion as well; he's right next to her. Sparkle Buddha is porcelain, has glitter on his big belly, wears eye make-up, and several children are climbing on him. He was a yard sale find, and, like Martha, watches over me. I spend a lot of time at my desk, so having my two little friends right here makes me happy. Every now and then, I say, "So Martha, what do you think about…" or "Hey, Sparkle Buddha, what's happening?" but they never answer. Still, I'm thankful for both of them, even if it does make me sound like a huge dork.

Barry's Irish Tea: No, I didn't steal tea from some guy named Barry. It's an Irish company that makes the best tea ever. The bags don't have annoying little strings on them, with trite sayings, which is a big part of why I am grateful for them. I don't need my drink giving me life advice; it just needs to go in a cup with a little sugar. Coffee is great to wake up with; there's no reasoning with me until I've had my morning crack, but tea is for calming down. Tea signals a small break, where I put aside the work, find a cookie or other nibble, and zone out for a few minutes. The blend is just perfect, no herbs, no sticks, and twigs, just a nice cuppa. 
Naturally, there is more than a blanket, a tea bag, and some knick-knacks that I'm thankful for this year, but sometimes these small items get overlooked. At least? Well, there is nothing lesser about Snoopy, Martha, Sparkle Buddha, or Barry, especially not to me. Often, we are so caught up in the big parts of life that we can forget the smaller pieces, but honestly, on some days, it's the seemingly insignificant items that are keeping us together. Look around your table this year, and when you're done being thankful for the food, friends, and family, maybe give a little gratitude for something that makes you happy when you remember to notice it. Happy Thanksgiving from my gang and me!

Love,

Snoopy, Martha, Sparkle Buddha, and some guy named Barry






No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see? Leave me a comment! If not, let's just keep it our little secret