Saturday, October 26, 2019

Gaelic and Garlic



   
“Buon cibo, buon vino, buoni amici.”
″(Good food, good wine, good friends.)”
—Italian proverb

Anyone who knows me, or has spent more than five minutes with me knows that I am, through and through, an Irish girl. These green eyes, red hair, and, of course, the attitude are straight outta Dublin. To be honest, it’s a random genetic lottery; I was lucky enough to be born into an Irish family. Growing up, however, it seemed my closest friends were always Italian. Now, of course, we shouldn’t label people solely on their ethnicity, it’s not about that. It’s just that in my own personal experience, I’ve had the good fortune to have friends, who, according to their family traditions, were practically required to invite hordes of people over for mass quantities of food. I truly had the best of both worlds: Gaelic and garlic.




In high school, my best girlfriend, Lisa, came from an Italian family, and I got to spend so many Sundays at her Nonna’s house. Meatballs, pasta, salad, baked chicken in olive oil, baccala, pizzelle cookies, cannoli, and so many other dishes I can’t spell or pronounce were waiting on her grandmother’s table every Sunday. While I may not have been an expert in pronouncing them, I sure could eat. But more than the food, it was about the welcome I received from Nonna Capellotti, Uncle Guido, Auntie Anna, Uncle Fonzo, and Gino. Those were precious days of family, food and, yes, maybe a little wine too.

Not Nonna Capellotti. Stock Image


Fast forward to now, and yes, Lisa is still around, as is Gino (It must be said here how much I love and admire Gino. He pushed my buttons on a regular basis, but I always knew that even if I was some Irish banshee his daughter befriended, I was always welcome in his home)  but sadly, her Nonna and others have passed on. Still, I think it was my experience with her family when I was growing up that led me to always appreciate Italian food and customs and the gift of being welcomed at a traditional Italian Sunday dinner. 


When I met Teresa, a local restaurant owner, not only did I enjoy her cooking, but her understanding of the concept of food, friends, and family was exactly what I’d grown up with. When she said she was hosting a cooking class at Essex Tech, and needed some kitchen help, I was SO IN. Being Irish, my culinary background is mostly about boiling meat and cooking potatoes. We Irish are known for many things; delicious food is not one of them. My role in this adventure was to fetch, carry, wipe, wash, chop, and chew. Does it get any better than that?


A full-on professional kitchen with everything you could ever need, along with a talented Italian chef and a class full of people who wanted to learn about Southern Italian cuisine. Sign me up! So, on an early Saturday morning, I showed up to the culinary room at Essex Tech, ready to go. The next four hours were a blur of running around finding bowls, utensils, and other items. I stirred, chopped, wiped, whipped, and did everything I was told. Now, usually taking orders is not my forte, but if you want to learn something, you start by listening. Teresa Sirianno grew up learning how to cook by watching. Family recipes were passed down to her because she listened, she learned, and she watched. For hours over the stove, she paid attention and now brings that love of food, family, and friendship to her work at two local businesses.  


She started with Café Avellino in Swampscott, serving small plates of lasagna, pasta, and meatballs. Her other business, La Sirena, in Marblehead, is all about pastry, sandwiches, and deliciously smooth cappuccino. Sunday brunch at La Sirena will often find families chilling out to smooth jazz, while weekends at Café Avellino are all about local musicians, a delicious menu, and a welcoming vibe.



The cooking class was amazing. Not only I did not set anything on fire, slice off a finger, or poison anyone, I also didn’t break any dishes or dent any pans. The student chefs that turned up to learn were already miles ahead of me, but they too left at the end of the day knowing more than they did before. Isn’t that something? It’s a poor day that you don’t learn something new, and these chefs proved that and while they might have been there to learn, they also taught me about taking a risk (serving a dish you’ve never made before is a considerable risk, if you’re someone like me) and making it a positive experience.

I’m so grateful to have spent a morning learning from Teresa and her students. Essex Tech is an excellent local resource. If you can, take the time to hit up Café Avellino or La Sirena, but if you really want to learn about food, check out the adult education offerings at Essex. We are so lucky to have a wealth of places to not only eat good food but also learn how to make it. Check it out. Buon Appetito!

For information: Essex Tech’s Nighthawks Adult Education program, https://essex-adulted.coursestorm.com/browse




No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see? Leave me a comment! If not, let's just keep it our little secret