Thursday, September 30, 2021

It's Piehole Time!

“Just around the corner, there’s a rainbow in the sky/so let’s have another cup o’coffee/And let’s have another piece of pie.” ----Irving Berlin
Who doesn't love pie? There is a kind of pie for every appetite, whether it's apple pie brimming with cinnamon and a scoop of ice cream on the side or a summer blueberry pie with fresh-picked fruit and a flaky crust. I would almost venture to say that there aren’t many problems that can’t be solved by having some pie and a cup of coffee, right? Of course, pie and coffee go well with colleagues and conversation, right? If you’re going to have pie, you should share. A pie shape is the ultimate symbol of dividing up resources. So why not share some ideas and a shortcrust too? Invite someone over, bake a pie, put on a pot of coffee, and get down to work. That’s what’s great about a lot of foods and traditions. Sitting down to a meal or a snack with someone is a way to show others who you are. When you own your words, you let people know what you stand for in this crazy world.
My favorite part of being a writer is telling stories under my byline, which is a fancy newspaper term for my real name. Every pie that comes out of a hot oven, with steam shooting up out of the middle and sugar bubbling along the edge of the crust, probably has a story as well. Did it get made with apples picked on a weekend trip to a farm? Did little pudgy toddler hands gather the blueberries in grandma's garden? Maybe it's just me, but honestly, it's about more than just what's in the pie. I want to know who made it, where they got the recipe and was there some special ingredient that makes it so delicious. Perhaps it’s the fact that I come from a long line of Irish yappers. Keeping our mouths shut isn’t something the women in my family believe in or aspire to; we have other talents.
In most bakeries, each pie has a little label or sign on it to tell you what's in it. That’s where my willpower fails me. Chocolate cream, blueberry, mincemeat all seem like tiny signals from the universe that say, "This is a great pie. You should get this pie so you can share it; hurry, put the coffee on!" Honestly, I don't understand why there hasn't been a national effort to get more pie into, well, our pieholes. Oh, and just saying, isn’t piehole the best word ever? It’s not often I get to use a compound word that ends in “hole” in this column (but that doesn’t mean I haven’t thought of a few.)
Photo courtesy of #PieholeWhiskey

As I've been recovering from back surgery, I've also been watching my weight. Because, well, there was a lot of time flat on my back, and so many of my sweet friends brought delicious meals to help me out. Do the math. Less activity plus more snacks works out to several pounds I do not need. So, sure, I cut back on a few foods, but I didn't forget who I am. Salads do not comfort me. Baby carrots with hummus don’t heal my bruised soul, or my cracked back after a tough day. Do you know what does? Pie and friends. Oh, and some ice cream. I don't make the rules, but you need ice cream with pie; it's practically required. The friend part should be as well. Because in between bites of strawberry rhubarb, banana cream, or pumpkin, you might hear some great stories. You might learn something you can't when you're home alone, hiding behind a keyboard or a pen, too afraid to let people know who you are. Why do some of us choose to spread criticism with awkward scribbles and no ownership? How is being nameless and faceless more fun than having pie and an honest conversation?
The signs at the bakery tell us what’s in a pie, but we all have words, names, life stories, and personal beliefs that tell others who we are and what we believe. Without all that, well, you're likely to remain invisible and unheard; you really won't matter much if you're not putting yourself out there, warts and all. Of course, you do you, but I'm calling some friends to hang out. Now, where is that pie I picked up, it's apple, and it's calling my name.

5 comments:

  1. Here is my response to that bitch.
    https://larankin.weebly.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT response! What a cowering little weenie mr/mrs pie-hole is. You nailed it.

      Delete
  2. Ok. So Google Will allow a link, but just won’t let it work. Perfect. Here is my response.
    No, Shut YOUR Pie Hole

    Someone once honked at my friend Brenda as she was dropping me off at the hospital to visit my mother. What did I do? I yelled at them to go fuck themselves while flipping them off. So you can imagine my response when someone sent her a thank you note for shutting her pie hole. I wanted to tell her to head to the airport in four hours because I was on my way to kick some ass, figuratively, of course.

    Imagine what it’s like to go through back surgery. Thinking you’d be back to normal in a day, only to find out it’s closer to six weeks. Then you find this lovely note in the mail. Who needs that? Especially for a writing gig that pays the annual grand total of nothing. Even the grammar cop had a higher purpose. However, he was equally cowardly by remaining anonymous. If you have an opinion, OWN it. Oh wait, that’s right, thanking someone for shutting up while recovering from surgery isn’t an opinion; it’s just mean.

    Who asserts so much effort to be so mean? Let’s think about this. You had to:
    1. Spend the time buying a thank you note.
    2. Spend the money on the aforementioned thank you note.
    3. Purchase a crayon commiserate with your intellect and empathy.
    4. Think up something so clever and original as, “For keeping your pie hole shut.”
    5. Insert nastygram in an envelope.
    6. Get a stamp.
    7. Affix said stamp.
    8. Stalk Brenda to find her address. SO creepy.
    9. Drop it in the mail.

    That seems like a lot of effort to me. But if meanness is in your heart, perhaps it’s more of a release than an effort. Maybe you should shove some pie in your heart hole. I promise you can’t be so unhappy while stuffing your pie hole with pie. I want to thank you, though. We’ve gotten a lot of laughter at your expense. I might even buy Brenda a gift commemorating the event, so every time she sees it, she’ll laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. Definitely more to this pie story. Brenda, put the coffee on. What kind of pie you want?
    Can you spill and stuff your piehole at the same time? I can. Scottish.
    Keyboard bravado is a new phenomenon, but this fool went old school? Haha!
    So, the response is,
    I know what you're thinking. 'Did she serve six slices or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a Kahlua, Bailey's, and vodka, Mudslide pie, the most powerful, kickazz pie in the world, and would blow your mind clean out, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?
    Again...put the coffee on Brenda. I could use some coffee, pie, and a good laugh.
    I gots ta know!

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Leave me a comment! If not, let's just keep it our little secret