Friday, May 21, 2021

Over the River....

 “Over the river, and through the wood, to Grandfather’s house we go.”


---Lydia Maria Child




Yes, we're a long way from Thanksgiving, but finally, with vaccines rolling out, the country is opening up again. I was recently planning a trip because while I don't have grandparents, and neither do my children, I needed to get the heck out of town. It's been a long spell and like everyone else, I was antsy, so I decided to see what was happening in what my kids call "GrannyLand” but is actually Florida. In these early months of venturing out after the lockdowns, how are families reconnecting?





I am by no means a world traveler, but planning a trip is one of my favorite activities. I chose to visit a few places in the Sunshine State, rather than just stay in one area. I could say it was for research purposes, but mostly, it's because I have the patience of a gnat on Red Bull. First stop? Everyone's happy place, Orlando. Home of a famous mouse, and a whole of fun. At the resort where I stayed, it was all condos, and here’s a pro tip: if you’re going to pack up the family to see grandparents, get a condo. That way everyone has their own space. Also, it would help if the resort was awesome, and Bonnet Creek is definitely that. It’s always a gamble when you book something that looks amazing online, and then…isn’t…when you arrive, but staying at Club Wyndham was the best choice. Big rooms, a balcony with a view, and a lazy river on the property? Yes, please! 


This is the suite life!  So big my feet won't reach

Who doesn't love a gift basket?



Think about it, if you’re traveling with younger kids and older relatives that’s a lot of needs to meet in one trip. In my suite, I had plenty of room to spread out, and given the past year, it was glorious. I think we all need a little luxury and space at this point. There was also a quiet pool and a more family-friendly pool because as much as they love them, most grandparents don't want to play Marco Polo with the kiddies for hours in the hot sun. Also, cabanas. Seriously, it’s not just some sunshade thing on the beach. It’s a poolside living room, complete with cable and food service. There’s definitely something for everyone in a cabana, just don’t touch the snacks, those are mine. I’d put one in my backyard, but I doubt it would be the same. 


Since grandparents in Florida don't all live at Disneyworld, I hit the road south to Palm Beach and if I ever get to be a granny, I want to live there. It's unlikely unless I hit the Powerball, but seriously, this place is magical. My mother lived there in the 1950s when it was the center of the jet-set café society, and it's easy to see why she loved it so much. The Breakers, the iconic oceanfront hotel, is gorgeous in every way (at least to me) and while I didn't stay there, I spent an evening there and it was

 epic. 


Always iconic, always amazing.



I thought I would see aging Boomers in blue blazers and button-downs, but there were kids, honeymooners, couples, and singles. At the pool, having a cocktail, or just soaking it in, it was a little bit like stepping into a whole other time, just for a few hours. Getting to see our families again means we are just about through a terrible time, and the good parts we've missed will be back. That's what I noticed most on this quick visit to the Breakers. Yes, the food is amazing, the service impeccable, and the surroundings luxurious, but the families having dinner or hanging at the pool?  You could see the connection; you could see that it wasn’t just another dinner with the grands. These moments stood out. It was as if everyone was just so glad to be exactly where they were. Of course, if you’re at the Breakers, how can you not be glad, right? Still, it was a family environment that just happens to be fabulous, and we all need a little fabulous right now.



Seriously, the best drink I've ever had and
that is saying something





As we move forward and start to resume dinners out and weekend getaways, we need to remember our extended family as well. Parents are exhausted from remote school, working, childcare, and stress. Grandparents have been isolated while trying to stay safe and have missed seeing family. It's the perfect time to plan a multigenerational trip. It might not be over the river and through the wood, but it doesn't have to be Palm Beach and theme parks either. Because I'm a huge nerd, I detoured for one night to the Space Coast. Seriously, that new Space Force we have? It's real! There's now a USSF base in Cocoa Beach. I didn't run into Major Nelson, but there's an "I Dream of Jeannie Lane." There's a pier where you can buy tacky souvenirs and get a drink that comes in a coconut. They sell Apollo 11 moon landing memorabilia and surfboards on every corner, does it get any more multigenerational?


It’s not entirely about where you go, I guess, it’s about who is traveling with you. If you can, go see your family. It’s time.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see? Leave me a comment! If not, let's just keep it our little secret