Friday, October 16, 2020

Still Here...

 

“Even though it was a very long distance to cover, we are still here.” -Alan B Shepherd Jr.


 


While it might seem obvious, it took a bit for me to realize that the flip side of this national nightmare of politics, pandemics, and problems, is that we have come pretty far. We’ve covered a lot of ground and that should be acknowledged. Think back to December of last year, or January. We were hearing about this virus, but who would ever have thought that we’d still be in this whole panic mode? Throw in an election and a volatile political climate and it’s been quite a time. If you’re reading this, congratulations on still being here.



 

Honestly, that’s an accomplishment. Everyone whines about “participation trophies” and how there shouldn’t be an award for just showing up, but I disagree. No one realizes what it might take for someone else to get up every day, care for their family and friends, work, manage a home, oversee remote learning, and navigate it all without losing it entirely. We’re mostly focused on ourselves, and we have to be. Airplane rules, right? When that oxygen drops out of the ceiling it’s go time. At least, metaphorically. You can’t help others if you’re gasping for air yourself, right? So, give yourselves a big pat on the back. You’re here. 


 

Slowly, some of what was normal, is coming back. Restaurants have limited capacity, but many are open. School is back…sort of…and while challenging, it’s a small step towards getting back to normal, whatever that may be. This week, I was so lucky to get back something I have been missing terribly. My sport, my game, my go to for blowing off steam has always been badminton. I don’t play that well, but I show up. Smashes, clears, drives, cross court drop shots, and backhands are my weapons against falling apart, physically and mentally, so it’s been hard to not have that. Safety first though, always. This week, I got to play an actual match. The badminton shoes that had been stashed away, unworn, were coming out of the closet along with my racket and a wicked attitude for smashing some birds. It was amazing, by which I mean, I did not die, fall down, or bash myself bloody. Considering the previous week found me tripping over air and kissing pavement, this is quite something. 


 


While I was beyond giddy to have gotten to play, it must be said, re-entry…stinks. There’s another “S” word that fits, but this is a family paper.  Holy fitness Batman, staying off the court for seven months will bite you right in the gluteus maximus, and every other muscle that’s been laying around unused. Also, while not technically a muscle, my hand eye coordination is pretty much gone. It’s not like it was one of my strengths to begin with, but now it’s almost nonexistent. There were mortifying moments of swinging at a bird, only to see it sail past the end of my racket, mocking me, as if to say, “Not today, Brenda, no ma’am.”



 

It really should not have come as a galloping shock, because rest leads to rust, right? While my red shoes and my little dog make me sometimes think of myself as a Dorothy, it was all Tin Man on the courts, squeaking and banging around. But guess what? In those immortal words from another great movie, Gone with the Wind,  “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.”


Regardless of the score, my moves, the missed shots, and post-match pain, it was everything just to have been able to show up. To put on my way cool badminton shoes (which are silver, with red trim, of course) and be off the bench and back in the game is worth every ache and pain, every sweat-soaked swing, and every cursed net shot. No, there was no participation trophy, unless you count the ice-cold beer I cracked open when I got home, but for me, it’s still a win. Matches are not what they were before, because safety protocols require reduced capacity, no crowds, no guests, no cocktail hour (gasp!) and no high fives, but the game is still here for me. While it will take some time to get back to where I was, isn’t that true of everything? It’s been more than twenty years since I took up badminton and I’m still floundering around the back court missing at least as many shots as I make. So what? There was no choice to sit out for seven months; everyone has been on hold in some way during this time. If we are lucky enough to still be here? Well then, we are lucky enough. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see? Leave me a comment! If not, let's just keep it our little secret