Friday, March 6, 2020

Let's Go To the Movies!

“We love films and storytelling, as a people. It just a human compulsion to listen to and tell stories.”

---Mychael Danna



Back in the fall, I wrote here about the season of cheesy Christmas movies and how terrible, and yet wildly popular, they are. You would have thought I had suggested replacing the national anthem with a rousing chorus of Bon Jovi’s “Bad Medicine.” As it happens every year, Christmas came and went, the networks all made a mint on this year’s crop of candy cane crap, and now we can get back to appreciating real movies, right?



Since there was such a reaction to the holiday movie question, I decided to do a little unofficial poll about iconic movies. You know, the classics that have stood the test of time, that most people can quote lines from, that have woven their way into our lives, and that are not seasonal. It started because one of my friends said they had never seen the movie, “The Princess Bride.” While I try not to be too judgy about other people’s choices, in my head I was shrieking, “Inconceivable!” As it turns out, my list of movies that, surely, everyone must have seen, is not universal. Also, don’t call me Shirley. Bonus points for anyone who gets that reference.


The Harry Potter movies, as well as the books, are definitely iconic and will always be classics. I’ve never seen a minute of any of them, and the first paragraph of the first book was as far as I ever read. They are just not my cup of popcorn. It’s possible more than a few of my friends are now re-evaluating their decision to have me in their lives because of this. Back to Princess Buttercup, however. How is it that so many people are unaware of this movie? Ok, not unaware really, but it’s completely not true that everyone and their brother has seen it hundreds of times, can quote whole passages from it, and routinely yells at their kids as they leave for school, “Have fun storming the castle!” It was eye-opening for sure. Much like comfort food, we all have our comfort entertainment; the movies and shows that we automatically reach for when we just want to turn off all the noise of the world and escape for a bit.


Perhaps it’s the time of year that has me staring at a screen, and zoning out more than usual. January was ninety-seven days long, almost all of it in the dark, or at least it seemed that way. My time is a little less structured since I am between jobs (between jobs sounds so much better than out of a job) so there have been more opportunities to dive into my DVD collection and re-watch some favorites. Movies tell a story, and while books will always be a huge part of my life, there is something to be said for getting lost in a video voyage, especially when it’s one you’ve been on before. It’s a little like catching up with an old friend. They are always there, a click away. Saint Patrick’s Day is coming up, so that means my collection of Irish movies will be getting a workout. Ned Devine, Sean Thornton, and Michael Collins will all keep me company for a few hours, and I’m looking forward to it.



Movies are a way for us to be somewhere else for a while, without having to do the work of packing and traveling. Centuries ago, stories were passed down verbally, in families. Then came radio, where millions tuned in every week to hear comedy sketches or other adventures. Theaters were where many went to forget about the Great Depression, or the war news, though before the picture began they showed newsreels, so it wasn’t always just escapism. Now we can stream movies, or pop in a magic disc and be right in the midst of whatever our favorite story is. While everyone’s playlist is different, it’s definitely important to have a few go to films. Winter isn’t quite over, so save some time to take a break and see a few stories. If for no other reason than tucking in for an at-home cinema binge won’t expose you to the flu, Coronavirus, or having to listen to other people snapping their gum and crunching popcorn in front of you. Go ahead, break out the videos and have yourself a time. Also, if you haven’t seen it, watch “The Princess Bride.” If you don’t like it, don’t worry, I can send you the rest of my list of favorites. Happy viewing!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see? Leave me a comment! If not, let's just keep it our little secret