Friday, October 19, 2018

Let Them Eat Cake!


"Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be."
---Robert Browning

It's birthday season, at least in my world. If you do the math, a lot of friends and family of mine had parents who knew how to make the most of cold January nights and Valentine’s Day. From the end of September to mid-November I am continually sending a card, wishing someone a happy birthday or having cake.

I think I counted about a dozen or so birthdays in a six-week period and there are likely some I have forgotten. There is way too much cake happening right at my other favorite time of year, pumpkin whoopee pie season. Actually, pumpkin whoopie pies might be just at my house as well, since a good friend makes them. No, I won't tell you who; they're mine, all mine!

While most holidays other than Christmas or Thanksgiving are not that big a deal for me, I love me some birthdays. It's one day that is just yours. Well, unless you're a twin or triplet etc. You might have to share your day then, but there's at least one moment in every birthday that is exclusively yours. It's my belief that birthdays should be sacred. They should be about the person who's just completed another year. In our house, the birthday person gets to pick what's for dinner. No matter what, they get to decide and no one else's preferences matter. If the choice is pizza, the birthday honoree picks the place and the toppings, and everyone else can go hungry. Or eat cake. Not a bad deal, really.



There is a reason they put names on birthday cakes. It's to single out someone who, even just for five minutes, gets to be a rock star with a room full of adoring fans. In the UK they sing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" because I guess women don't have birthdays over there? And that song doesn't even mention a name; they could be talking about any fellow. The song "Happy Birthday To You," however, is customizable, even if your name is Vladimir or Millicent. It's also free to sing now, as a U.S. Federal court held that the song is officially out of the corporate clutches of Warner Brothers and safely in the public domain. 




I wonder if the date of that decision will become the birthday of the birthday song?  Many people don't like the attention focused on them, especially if it's sung by the underwhelmed wait staff at a restaurant, all of whom probably have to sing it to strangers several times a day, and yet, it's still something that brings out the little kid in all of us. Don't tell me you never say, "cha cha cha" between verses, or add lyrics, we've all done it.


Now that so much happens in the world of social media, birthdays have even become a way to pursue a charitable goal. You can now donate your birthday to the cause of your choice. Essentially, these posts say, "Please give to XYZ organization in honor of my birthday."  Facebook is filled with these posts, and while I'm all in for close friends and family, I find that I laugh a little at some of them. Someone who is the daughter of a neighbor of my friend's aunt Edna, who I met at a cookout once, for five minutes, wants donations to save the spotted owls of Oregon? Um, well, that's very sweet of her, but it's not like everyone on Facebook was going to get her a gift. This is the time of year when my feed gets winnowed out a little, because if I don't know someone well enough to celebrate their day by saving the symbol of Hooter's, where hardworking staff probably have to sing Happy Birthday to multiple drooling men every day, then why am I sharing pictures of my kids with them?


Birthdays should still matter, however, especially to those close to us. I'm going to a party for a family member this week, that isn't a party. Nope, the birthday boy doesn't like parties, so it's dinner, with friends and family, precisely fifty odd years (to the day) he was born. That is NOT a birthday, you hear me? There better be cake because I'm all out of whoopie pies. Also, on a personal note, Happy Birthday, Devin Mary Kim. However did you get to be so grown up and beautiful? Also, FYI to whomever might want to know, November 6th isn't just Election Day…hint hint.



1 comment:

Like what you see? Leave me a comment! If not, let's just keep it our little secret